Google Analytics has been the go-to tool for website owners to track their website’s performance and gather insights into their audience’s behavior for years. Google Analytics 4 (GA4) is the newest version of Google Analytics, which offers advanced features and a new data model that makes it easier to gain insights into user behavior. Migrating a WordPress site from Google Universal Analytics to GA4 is an essential task that website owners should complete before the July 2023 deadline. In this article, we will discuss the importance of migrating a WordPress site from Google Universal Analytics to GA4 and the steps involved in the migration process.
Why is it important to migrate to GA4?
The main reason to migrate from Universal Analytics to GA4 is that Google will sunset Universal Analytics in July 2023. After that, Universal Analytics will no longer receive updates or support from Google. Therefore, website owners need to migrate to GA4 to ensure that their website’s tracking and analytics capabilities remain up-to-date.
Another reason to migrate to GA4 is that it offers advanced features that can help website owners gain deeper insights into their audience’s behavior. For example, GA4 provides a better understanding of cross-device and cross-platform user journeys, allowing website owners to optimize their marketing strategies and improve their website.
GA4 also offers more advanced machine learning capabilities that can help website owners gain insights into their audience’s behavior without requiring extensive data analysis skills. For example, GA4 can automatically identify and track key user behaviors such as video engagement and scroll depth, providing website owners with valuable insights that can help them improve their website’s user experience.
In addition, GA4 provides a new data model that is designed to be more flexible and customizable than the data model used in Universal Analytics. This new data model allows website owners to collect data from multiple sources and customize their analytics data to better suit their specific business needs.
Steps involved in the migration process
Migrating from Universal Analytics to GA4 involves several steps, including the following:
1. Create a new GA4 property: To migrate to GA4, website owners need to create a new GA4 property in their Google Analytics account.
2. Install the GA4 tracking code: Once the GA4 property is created, website owners need to install the GA4 tracking code on their WordPress site. This involves adding the GA4 tracking code to the site’s header or footer.
3. Configure the GA4 property settings: Website owners need to configure their GA4 property settings to ensure that the tracking data is collected and processed correctly. This includes setting up data streams, defining custom events, and configuring data filters.
4. Migrate historical data: Website owners can migrate their historical data from Universal Analytics to GA4 using the Data Import feature. This ensures that all the historical data is available in the new GA4 property and can be used to gain insights into user behavior.
5. Test and verify: Once the migration is complete, website owners need to test and verify the GA4 tracking code to ensure that it is working correctly. They can use the Google Analytics Debugger tool to check if the tracking code is sending data to GA4.
Migrating a WordPress site from Universal Analytics to GA4 is an important task that website owners need to complete before the July 2023 deadline. GA4 offers advanced features, such as machine learning capabilities and a new data model, that can help website owners gain deeper insights into their audience’s behavior. The migration process involves creating a new GA4 property, installing the GA4 tracking code, configuring the property settings, migrating historical data, and testing and verifying the GA4 tracking code. By completing this migration, website owners can ensure that their website’s tracking and analytics capabilities remain up-to-date and that they can continue to gain valuable insights into their audience’s behavior.
Migration to GA4 is included in all Heer WP Maintain plans. Sign-up today to rest assured your website is secure and optimal.